Security and Safety
Enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
In order to stay up-to-date on information regarding traveling and living in Ecuador, American citizens can enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
The new STEP for American citizens allows you to register and update your contact information on the internet at any time, making it easier for you to keep your information current and add new trips as they are scheduled. The site also provides you with up-to-date travel information customized to your unique travel agenda and itinerary. The data you provide is secured behind Department of State firewalls, accessed only by cleared personnel in Embassies, Consulates and the Department of State, and releasable only with your permission under the provisions of the Federal Privacy Act.
Latest Messages for U.S. Citizens
Messages for U.S. Citizens
- July 29, 2015 - Worldwide Caution
- June 10, 2015 - Ongoing Demonstrations throughout Ecuador (PDF 178kb)
- June 8, 2015 - Planned Demonstrations on June 8, 2015 (PDF 232kb)
- June 3, 2015 - Increased Activity on the Cotopaxi Volcano (PDF 232kb)
- April 9, 2015 - U.S. Citizen Town Hall with the Ambassador In Cotacachi (PDF 293kb)
If you are a U.S. Citizen currently traveling abroad, you may wish to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. You can do so through the Department of State's STEP system.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.