Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Lost or Stolen Passports

Replacing a lost or stolen passport

Many U.S. passports are lost and stolen in Ecuador. You should safeguard your passports and other valuables at all times and be especially wary when traveling by bus or shopping.  Make a photocopy of your passport's biographic data page (inside cover) or keep a record of your passport number, date, and place of issue separate from your passport.  Please do the same with the address and telephone number of the U.S. Embassy in Quito.

Do not leave your passport and other valuables in a hotel room or car, even a locked one. When not in use, store your passport in a secure place, such as a hotel safe.  Should you lose or have your passport stolen, report the loss to the nearest police station and obtain a police report ("denuncia") for the purposes of obtaining a new passport.  To obtain a replacement passport, you will need to visit the U.S. Embassy in Quito during regular working hours. The Embassy cannot open after hours or on weekends to replace lost or stolen passports.

A Duty Officer is available after hours to assist with life and death emergencies.  If you have been the victim of a crime, you may apply for a passport without an appointment, however please call the Embassy during our public inquiry hours for more information prior to coming to the Embassy. 

If your current passport has been lost or stolen, you must present the following:

  • Two recent 2" x 2" (5 cm x 5 cm) color photos with white background. Make sure that the pictures comply with the requirements.
  • Completed passport application form DS-11
  • Statement regarding lost or stolen passport DS-64 (PDF 38.4kb)
  • If your passport was stolen you need to submit a paper Incident Report Form (PDF 14kb) or our use our new online crime report system.
  • Report (“Denuncia”) from Ecuadorian Commissioner's office (also known as "Comisaria") showing you reported the incident (for more information on obtaining a "denuncia," please see below).
  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship, such as a previous U.S. passport, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen, or a photocopy of the biographic data page (inside cover) of your lost passport.
  • Proof of Identity. Any picture identification, such as a U.S. driver's license, is acceptable.
  • To consider the issuance of an emergency passport, you need to provide an itinerary and support documentation regarding your emergency.
  • Cash or credit card to pay the corresponding fees.

Minors under 16 additional requirements:

  • Both parents must appear in person at the time of application. If one of the parents cannot be present, the applying parent must submit a notarized Statement of Consent (form DS-3053 (PDF 41.2kb)) from the non-applying parent. The Statement of Consent must be notarized by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate if the parent is abroad or a registered notary if is inside the United States with a notarized copy of a picture ID.
  • Original U.S. birth certificate from the State Vital Records or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) of the minor. Original and one (1) copy.
  • Picture ID for both parents (passport, Ecuadorian cedula, driver license, etc). Original and one (1) copy.
  • Minor must be present.

    Note: The consular officer may request for additional documentation, pictures of the life of the applicant or other items which may not be listed to confirm family ties.
    If a consular officer is not satisfied with a statement of consent and is not satisfied with additional documentation and explanations, then the consular officer may refuse to issue the passport.

    If your previous passport has expired you also need to bring other proof of citizenship (example: Naturalization or Birth Certificate)

How to obtain a Police Report (Denuncia):

To get a "denuncia" you can call the Police by dialing 101 and ask for the nearest point near your location.  Addresses of the most commonly used are below:

    Open 24 hours a day Monday – Sunday
    Reina Victoria N 21-208 y Vicente Ramón Roca
    Ph. 593-2-254-3932 / 593-2-252-2293
    Open Monday – Sunday 8 am to 10 pm
    Juan Leon Mera 5565 y Carrion (first floor, Juzgado de Contravenciones)
    Ph. 593-2-255-0770/ 593-2-255-0918
  • MAYOR’S RESIDENCE (Casa de los Alcaldes)
    Open Monday – Sunday 10 am to 6 pm
    Calle Chile between García Moreno y Venezuela (Plaza Grande)
    Ph. 593-2-251-0896 / 593-2-295-5785
  • QUITUMBE BUS TERMINAL (Inside the Terminal on the main building)
    Open Monday – Sunday 6 am to 9 pm
    Avenida Mariscal Sucre S/N y Condor Ñan
    Ph. 593-2-381-4810

Immigration Information required before leaving the country:

In the case of the issuance of an emergency passport, the American citizen is required to visit the Ecuadorian Immigration Office after receiving their emergency passport in order to verify their date of entry into Ecuador.
This is required in order to leave Ecuador.  Ecuadorian Immigration charges a $5 fee for this service ("Movimiento Migratorio").  The American Citizens Services section will suggest the most convenient location for each American citizen depending on their situation.

The closest Immigration Office to the U.S. Embassy in Quito is located at:
Av. Amazonas N32-171 y Av. República (across Mall El Jardin)
Telephone: 02-225-7290 / 244-7070
Check the general website for Ecuadorian Immigration.

Fees may be paid by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club) or certified checks from an American bank.  No personal checks are accepted.

The issuance of a replacement passport is not automatic and will depend on evidence presented confirming citizenship and identity

 For more information pelase visit the Department of State website.

Fraud Notice

Application Forms DS-11 and DS-82 include the warning below:
False statements made knowingly and willfully in passport applications or in affidavits or other supporting documents submitted therewith are punishable by fine and/or imprisonment under provisions of 18 U.S.C. 1001, 18 U.S.C. 1542, 18 USC 1621.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.