Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report of Birth Abroad

How can you transmit your U.S. Citizenship to you child born abroad?

When a child is born to at least one U.S. citizen parent outside of the United States, U.S. law may confer citizenship on the child, depending on various factors.

Citizenship laws are complex, and it is impossible to address all factual situations on this website.  However, the most common cases are:

  • Birth Abroad to Two U.S. Citizen Parents in Wedlock
  • Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock
  • Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father
  • Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Mother

Please keep in mind that in order to apply for a Report of Birth Abroad the transmitting parent must a U.S. Citizen before the child is born.

Most of these cases require the U.S. citizen parent to have spent a specific amount of time in the U.S. or, in some cases, time spent overseas working for the U.S. government and other organizations may count.  For specific information on each particular scenario please visit the Legal Considerations section on the website.

Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States.

By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

How to Apply for a CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad)

  • Required documentation

    Before you apply for a CRBA you need to gather specific documentation and fill out the correct form. The list below serves as a checklist for the documentation you need to bring to the Consular Section:

    • Child's Ecuadorian Birth Certificate.
      In Ecuador there are several types of Birth Certificates that you can request from the Civil Registry office, the one that we require is the "Inscripición de Nacimiento - Registro Original" or, if the applicant was born before April 5, 2010, the "Copia Integra de la Inscripción de Nacimiento".
    • U.S. Passport(s) of the parent(s) that is(are) transmitting citinzenship.  Original and one (1) copy.
    • Proof of Identity, passport or cedula, of the other parent (if applicable).  Original and one (1) copy.
    • Parent's marriage certificate (if applicable).  Original and one (1) copy.
      If the marriage took place in Ecuador, please request the certificate that has the signatures of the involved parties.
    • Divorce decree(s) of parent(s) previously married, or death certificate of previous spouse (if applicable).  Original and one (1) copy.
      If the divorce took place in Ecuador, please request the marriage certificate that includes the amendment (marginación).
    • Proof of physical presence in the United States.
      Please check the section below for more details on what you can bring to show physical presence in the United States.
    • Proof of paternity/maternity and pregnancy records.
      Records of the mother's pregnancy; for example: sonograms, doctor's certificates, photographs of mother during pregnancy and any documentation related to the birth or pregnancy.
    • One 2" x 2" color photograph.
      No photo is required to apply for a CRBA but if you are not applying for a passport and a CRBA at the same time we recommend, and insist, that you bring at least one picture of the size mention before to attach to the application.
    • Form DS-2029.
      The application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), please see the section below for instructions on how to fill out and/or print this application.



    The application fee for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $ 100.00 and is non-refundable.  You will have to pay this fee at the time of the appointment, you can pay in cash or credit card, no checks or debit card are accepted.

  • Filing out the DS-2029 form

    Download and complete the Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029).  If after reading the instruction pages you still need guidance please follow these key points that will help:

    • Last name / Surname of applicant.
      The name used on the CRBA must be the same as that on the birth certificate. However, we understand that the naming practices outside the U.S. are different. In Ecuador the law dictates that the person must be registered with two last names, patronymic and matronymic, but the parents may desire to register the applicant with only one last name. If this is the case, please fill out the DS-2029 form with only one last name, and when you come to the Consular Section we will have you fill out an affidavit regarding the use of only one last name.
    • Full Name and all previous legal names used (of parents).
      Use the names as they appear on the ID that you are going to use when you apply. If you have used any other first, middle, or last names, such as maiden or matronymic names, please fill out the form accordingly.
    • Mailing address.
      The CRBA will not be sent by mail, this address is just for information purposes.  You can enter a U.S. or a local address.
    • Previous marriages.
      Please fill out the information completely, the name(s) of previous spouse(s), the date and place of marriage, date of divorce or death. If the information you need to fill out does not fit in the space, please use Section D (page 6 of 7).
    • Precise Periods of Time in the United States.
      We know that this is the most complicated part of this form so we urge you to please put close attention to details.
      On this list you need to fill out only with the dates that you have been physically present in the U.S.

      This means that if you left the U.S., even one day, on vacation to Canada, Mexico or any other place outside the U.S. or any of its outlying possessions, these dates should not be included on this list. 


    If after reading these key points you still have questions about how to fill out the DS-2029 form please feel free to email the Consular Section were you plan to apply for more information.

  • Proof of Physical Presence Information

    What constitutes proof of physical presences?

    The physical presence or residence in the United States that you present with your applicantion has to be prior to the birth of the applicant.

    Such evidence may include, but not limited to, school, college or university transcripts, employment, medical, tax records, W-2 forms, salary pay statements, photos, apartment leases, annual Social Security statements, amongst others.   These are merely suggestions, and you are encouraged to submit all available documentary proof.

    If no such evidence is available, the consular officer will advise you at the time of your application what alternatives you may have for proving your presence in the United States.


    Using the passport stamps as proof of physical presence

    If you plan to use your previous passports with the entry/exit stamps we suggest the following tips:

    • Please be sure to include all passport stamps on the detail of the DS-2029 form, if the officer concludes that not all of the stamps are on the details your application might be rejected.
    • If you have frequent travel to Ecuador, you can request a "movimiento migratorio" from the Immigration Office in Ecuador.  This will not show you when you were in the U.S. but can serve you as a guide on the dates that don't need to be included on the DS-2029 physical presence detail.
      We recommend that you bring this movimiento migratorio if you have requested one. 
  • Submitting your application

    Got everything that you need?

    Make sure you have reviewed all the requirements on this webpage and email us to make an appointment.

    Please email the applicant’s birth certificate and the first two pages (page 1 of 7 and 2 of 7, not the instructions) of the DS-2029 form to the Consular Section where you wish to have your appointment.

    Our mailboxes have a 2MB limit, if your files are over this size please split or compress the files. We recommend you send the files in PDF format.

    Send the e-mail to:

    If you would like to apply at the Consular Section in the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil, please see the Report of Birth Abroad section on their website.


    You may apply at the Consular Section of your choice but we recommend that you apply in the Consular Section that covers your district.

    The Consular Districts are divided in provinces.

    The U.S. Embassy in Quito covers: Bolivar, Carchi, Chimborazo, Cotopaxi, Esmeraldas, Imbabura, Pastaza, Pichincha, Morona Santiago, Napo, Orellana, Santo Domingo de los Tsachilas, Sucumbios and Tungurahua.

    The U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil covers: Azuay, Cañar, El Oro, Galápagos, Guayas, Loja, Los Ríos, Manabí, Santa Elena and Zamora Chinchipe.

Forms and Documentation

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.