Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Social Security

Important Information

If you didn’t receive your payment on February 2016

It is likely because you did not complete the “survivorship” form SSA-7162 or SSA-7161. These are sent annually or biennially to beneficiaries.

  • SSA-7162(PDF 129kb)

    - Beneficiaries with SSNs ending in 00-49 must complete this form in even numbered years (2014, 2016, 2018 …) around July-October.

    - Beneficiaries with SSNs ending in 50-99 must complete this form in odd numbered years (2015, 2017, 2019 …) around July-October.

  • SSA-7161(PDF 410kb)
    - Beneficiaries with a Representative Payee must complete this form annually around July-October.

Failure to complete this form will automatically stop payments on February of the following year.

If you did not receive your benefits you need to complete the appropriate form and send it back scanned with a copy of your passport or other valid ID to  After we receive this form your payment will be processed retroactively in 2-3 weeks.

  • 2016 SSA Benefits will not automatically increase


    With consumer prices down over the past year, monthly Social Security benefits will not automatically increase in 2016.  The Social Security Act provides for an automatic increase in Social Security benefits if there is an increase in inflation as measured by the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).  The period of consideration includes the third quarter of the last year a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) was made to the third quarter of the current year.   As determined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there was no increase in the CPI-W from the third quarter of 2014 to the third quarter of 2015.  Therefore, under existing law, there can be no COLA in 2016.
    In 2016, the standard Part B premium amount will be $121.80 (or higher depending on your income). However, most people who get Social Security benefits will continue to pay the same Part B premium amount as they paid in 2015. This is because there wasn't a cost-of-living increase for 2016 Social Security benefits.

    Information about cost of living adjustment can be found at the Social Security website.

    Information about Medicare changes for 2016 can be found at the Medicare website.

Social Security - General Information

The Federal Benefits office is open to the public from 1:30 p.m. until 3:30 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday, except on American and Ecuadorian holidays.

For telephones inquiries (i.e., those not related to a new claim), please call: 398-5000, between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. on Monday or Tuesday.  It is very important to remember that you must have your Social Security number in hand when you call.

Most federal benefits business needs to be handled in person.  All beneficiaries and potential beneficiaries are seen on a walk-in, first-come-first-served basis from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday. We only ask that you be patient, as some clients require more time than others and we therefore may not get to you as quickly as you would like.  Rest assured that we will see you as soon as possible.

The Federal Benefits Unit can assist you with the following issues:

  • Applications for Social Security Card.

  • Applications for new, replacement duplicate and/or corrected Social Security cards.

  • Applications for enrollment and cancellation of Medicare.

  • Applications for retirement, disability or survivor benefits.

  • Applications for establishment of a representative payee (i.e., when the beneficiary is not able to receive or manage his/her own benefits)

  • Changes/corrections to your record (name, address, death of a beneficiary, etc.)

  • Securing copies of Social Security records.
  • Obtaining information about U.S. Social Security coverage while you work in Ecuador.

  • Information about (and enrollment in) the International Direct Deposit (IDD) program.

  • Missing or delayed payments.

Record Keeping: 

It is suggested that recipients keep a record of payments received: date, amount, agency (SSA, VA, etc.) This information assists in resolving problems with the non-receipt of payments and overpayments due to duplicate payments that may result in interruption of your benefits. 

Beneficiaries must report to SSA:

  • Change of citizenship, and address.
  • Work outside the U.S.
  • Disabled person returns to work or disability improves.
  • Marriage, Divorce or annulment of the beneficiary.
  • Adoption of a child.
  • Child leaves the care of representative payee.
  • Child nearing age 18 is a full-time student or is disabled or Death.
  • Inability to manage funds.
  • Deportation or removal from the U.S.
  • Changes in parental circumstances.
  • Eligibility for a pension from work not covered by Social Security.

It is very important that you tell us if your address changes so your payments will not be delayed. Even if your payments are being sent to a bank, you must report any of the changes described above.

Individuals who do not keep their records current may run the risk of having their benefits suspended.

Further Information:

The following links to specific U.S. Government benefits-granting agencies are provided for your assistance.  Please note that these sites are designed primarily for use within the United States; however, the SSA and VA sites have special pages devoted to international issues.